Tuesday, October 19, 2010

mightier

"Mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty!" (Psalms 93:4) Those were the words I meditated on the day train 11, the Amtrak Coast Starlight, departed from Seattle, WA, Friday, October 1, 2010.

As the train wound through Oregon that evening, I sat there at my window seat, struggling with the text. I knew that God was mighty, but in that moment, I couldn't point to an event in my life when I had experienced a mighty God. All I had heard were stories of others. Crying out to God, I rummaged through words on the page, seeking assurance. But all I could feel was emptiness.

The next morning, I was encouraged by 1 Samuel 12:16, "now therefore stand still and see this great thing that the Lord will do before your eyes." It gave me hope.

For the last two weeks, I've been volunteering at Campus By The Sea on Catalina Island. This was my opportunity to be still. I waited and waited and waited. I listened as God spoke truth into my heart.

Now, two weeks later I'm back in LA. And today I experienced a mighty God. I got transfered to a Starbucks and I start tomorrow. I also have been surrounded with a vibrant tight-knit community and have a temporary roof over my head.

Hollywood waits till Friday, but it's ok. God is mighty.

No comments:

Blog Archive